cane sugar free
4 eggs whisked lightly
¼ cup date syrup (or coconut nectar or rice syrup) (optional)
½ cup olive oil
2 cups (4 med) Granny Smith apples (or apple of choice) grated with skin on
1 cup sultanas
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
2 cups spelt unbleached white flour (or plain flour of choice) sifted
1½ tsp baking powder
½ cup pecan pieces (or walnut pieces) optional for topping
• Preheat oven to 160 degrees (fan forced).
• Place all ingredients (except the pecans) in a large bowl, in the above order. Stir gently as each ingredient is added.
• Grease a 22cm round spring form cake tin with olive oil.
• Pour the mix into the spring form cake tin.
• Scatter the pecans evenly on top.
• Place in oven & bake for 1 hour.
• Remove from oven & let cool in the tin for 30 mins.
Delicious on its own or serve with a dollop of coconut ice cream, yoghurt or cream.
no added sweetner option
This cake will still offer enough ‘sweetness’ if you wish to remove the date syrup, coconut nectar, etc.